Manuka honey is a nutrient-packed powerhouse! Full of flavor, antioxidants, and plenty of health benefits, it’s made for the whole family.
Once your kids are over the age of one, honey can be a great (and yummy) way to boost their immunity.
Just remember, honey is not recommended for children under the age of one as it can contain spores called clostridium botulinum. While harmless to a mature digestive system, these spores can germinate in babies’ still-developing digestive systems and cause infant botulism – a rare, but serious illness.
Here are a few ways to use Manuka in your household…
In the kitchen
Biosota’s Manuka honey is certified organic and a natural sweetener, therefore it’s a great way to support your child’s diet (and sweet tooth), by substituting it for refined or processed sugars.
While we don’t recommend adding Manuka honey to your baking (as high temperatures can damage the methylglyoxal present in Manuka), you can add it to your menu in the following ways:
- Spread on a slice of banana bread or toast
- Added to a banana smoothie
- Poured over spelled pancakes
- Mixed through a warm herbal tea
By encouraging your kids to get involved in the kitchen, you can also use this time to teach them about the benefits of Manuka and why it’s important to care for your body.
In the first aid kit
Whether you’re at the park, out adventuring, or at their morning soccer match, kids and cuts come hand in hand. This is why adding Manuka honey to your first aid kit is essential!
The high levels of methylglyoxal (MGO) found in Biosota’s range of Manuka honey, meaning it has plenty of anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
When applied topically, Manuka honey works to sanitize and draw moisture from wounds, prevent bacteria growth, and speed up healing time.
In their tummies
One of the main benefits of Manuka honey for kids is its strengthening effect on the immune system.
Kids generally get many colds in their little lifetime – from daycare to their school years – sickness can seem relentless. This is why boosting their immune system is so important!
Manuka honey MGO 260+ and higher can work well as a maintenance dose to enhance and protect their bodies’ defenses against coughs, colds, and other illnesses.
Our favorite Biosota products for kids:
- Certified Organic Manuka Honey Straws – these fun, pint-sized honey straws are the perfect on-the-go or after-school snack. Available in a range of MGO strengths, pick and choose the potency of your kid’s dose based on their immunity needs.
- Manuka Honey Superfoods – Perfect for fussy eaters, the superfood range adds a tasty twist and a bit of fun to your kid’s honey experience. These products are perfect (and pretty too!) spread on toast (or straight from the jar).
Have any questions about the right product for your family’s needs? Chat, email, or phone us.